The building was originally the house of K. Renti. It was designed and built by the Greek architect Vassilis Tsagris in the years 1928-1930. Tsagris had also worked in Vienna. He had his own style and he has influenced many other Greek architects. The style of the building is eclectic combining various elements of the neoclassic style (which in these years has begun to fade away) and the elements of French architecture. The ground floor and the entrance bare have a simple grand volume hat functions as a pedestal for the rest more decorated building. Columns with capitals emphasize the vertical axon elongating the building. The strong cornice of the top of the building captures the spectator’s gaze creating dramatic shadows. Details such as the metallic rail of the balconies are the stylistic signature of Tsagris. After years of various uses this historic building is now a house of arts.
The permanent collection of Spyros Papaloukas
On the fifth floor there is a permanent collection of the Greek Painter Spyros Papaloukas (1892–1957). The painter studied art in the school of Arts of Athens and then in Paris. His style combines influences of post- impressionism artists such as Van Gogh, Matisse and Cezanne with the Byzantine Art. The abstraction, the intense brush strokes and the lively colors of his works make him a truly modern painter.