The museum was founded in 1918 by the poet Georgios Drosinis and a group of Athenian Intellectuals. During that time Greek artists came to appreciate the folk art for the first time and thought that it could be an inspiration to modern art. Initially, the museum was situated in the Tzistarakis Mosque (now it contains a pottery collection). Today it is situated in a building in Plaka, the old town of Athens.
- Published in Ethnographic & Folklore