The mosque is at the Monastiraki square, right at the centre of the old town of Athens. It was built in 1759 during the period that Greece was governed by the Turks. In 1915 was restored by Anastasias Orlandos. In 1959 the collection of the Greek Folk Museum was exhibited there. Later on the Folk Museum was transferred to new building. Today in the old mosque a collection of 800 vases and other objects made of clay of the 20th century, the collection of V. Kyriazopoulos is displayed.