The building of the Greek Parliament right on the most central square (Sintagma Sq.) was originally the first palace of King Otto. It was built in 1842 by the German architect Fr. Von Gartner. It is built in a restrained neoclassical style. It was sponsored by King Otto’s father who refused to pay extra money for luscious exterior decoration.
He also thought that a strict exterior would be more appropriate since the building would be in the same sight as the classical ruins of ancient Athens. In 1884 and 1909 the building suffered damages in fire and in 1910 was abandoned by the royal family. It was then remodeled to house the Hellenic Parliament in 1930, by the architect A. Kriezis and finally in 1935 the National Assembly moved in. Today it still functions as the seat of the Greek Parliament.
- Address: Leoforos Vasisilis Amalias & Leoforos Vasisilis Sofias, 10557 Athens