Art & Design museums in Greece
In 2005 the Theocharakis Foundation bought and restored one of the last standing old buildings of the centre of Athens. The building was renovated and its interior was reformed so that it could function as an exhibition area and as a concert hall. The building has 6 floors. On the lower ground level there is an Auditorium with the capacity of 175 seats. On the ground floor there is the reception area and an art shop. A café can be found on the first floor while the second third and fourth floor function as exhibition areas. On the fifth floor the permanent collection of the Modern Greek painter Spyros Papaloukas is housed.
The gallery has been moved in a new location at the area of Metaxourgio. The gallery is housed in an old neo-classical building of the 19th century which was donated to the municipality of Athens and has been thoroughly restored. The visitor can finally enjoy the extended collection of the paintings of famous Greek painters of the 19th and mostly the 20th century in an open well lighted space.
The building of the National Art Gallery and Alexander Soutzos Museum is a modern three store building that was completed in 1976. It contains a collection of 117 paintings that belonged to Athens University and the private collection of Alexander Soutzos that was donated to the Greek State after his death.
The institution is known for its well organized exhibitions of famous art works that are borrowed from museums and galleries from all aver the world. On the ground floor, the first room usually is occupied by the current exhibition. The exhibition might also continue to the basement, where there is also the café of the museum facing the back yard.
Situated on the fringe of the Athens Archaeological Park, within the historic Thission area, the Museum Alex Mylona, which was founded in 2004, provides visitors with a rare journey into contemporary art through the work of the Athenian sculptress Alex Mylona and periodic contemporary art exhibitions.
The "Twentieth Century Design Museum" in Athens, Greece, is a non-profit organization presenting in a 1200 m2 Museum Space the Furniture, Lights and everyday Objects created by the great Designers and Architects from 1900 to 1999.
The exhibits are arranged chronologically starting with Mackintosh (1905) going on with early century Architects, Gaudi and a vitrine of furniture created by Salvador Dali, a detailed show of the Bauhaus School and ending with the American and Italian Design.