Maria-Niki Koutsoukou

A+ A A-

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgK2Disqus_K2 has a deprecated constructor in /usr/www/users/encamp/athensmus/cms/plugins/k2/disqus_k2/disqus_k2.php on line 15

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgK2dmK2Maps has a deprecated constructor in /usr/www/users/encamp/athensmus/cms/plugins/k2/dmk2maps/dmk2maps.php on line 23

B&M Theocharakis Foundation for the Fine Arts and Music

In 2005 the Theocharakis Foundation bought and restored one of the last standing old buildings of the centre of Athens. The building was renovated and its interior was reformed so that it could function as an exhibition area and as a concert hall. The building has 6 floors. On the lower ground level there is an Auditorium with the capacity of 175 seats. On the ground floor there is the reception area and an art shop. A café can be found on the first floor while the second third and fourth floor function as exhibition areas. On the fifth floor the permanent collection of the Modern Greek painter Spyros Papaloukas is housed.

Benaki Museum (central building)

The Benaki Museum is set in a neoclassical building which was completed in 1895 by the architecture Metaxas. It was known as Harokopos mansion until it was bought by the Benaki family in 1910. New wings were added to the original building which eventually in 1930 was transformed into a museum. The Benaki Museum holds several permanent collections. It also organizes interesting exhibitions usually of contemporary art.

Public Gallery of Athens

The gallery has been moved in a new location at the area of Metaxourgio. The gallery is housed in an old neo-classical building of the 19th century which was donated to the municipality of Athens and has been thoroughly restored. The visitor can finally enjoy the extended collection of the paintings of famous Greek painters of the 19th and mostly the 20th century in an open well lighted space.

The National Art Gallery and Alexander Soutzos Museum

The building of the National Art Gallery and Alexander Soutzos Museum is a modern three store building that was completed in 1976. It contains a collection of 117 paintings that belonged to Athens University and the private collection of Alexander Soutzos that was donated to the Greek State after his death.

The institution is known for its well organized exhibitions of famous art works that are borrowed from museums and galleries from all aver the world. On the ground floor, the first room usually is occupied by the current exhibition. The exhibition might also continue to the basement, where there is also the café of the museum facing the back yard.

Museum of the city of Athens Vouros-Eutaxias

The Museum of the city of Athens has a collection of engravings, paintings and photographs of Athens of the previous century. Moreover, the visitor can wander through rooms with furniture and objects typical of the 19th century and admire some paintings of famous Greek artists. Besides the permanent collection, the museum organizes exhibitions on its third floor.

Subscribe to this RSS feed
Subscribe to our newsletter!

Log in or create an account