The Benaki Museum announces the realization of a summer festival. A new and exciting three week cultural event sees the atrium of the Benaki Museum - 138 Pireos transformed into an atmospheric and classy open air cinema and concert venue.
The Benaki Summer Festival presents screenings of award winning documentaries and films showcasing the best the world has to offer in art, fashion, music, theatre and food.
Of the 16 festival screenings we have been able to secure 12 Greek premieres, which include:
- a gala concert of Anna Netrebko and Dmitri Hvorostovsky live from the Red Square in Moscow;
- "The exhibition - Munch 150" a cinematic and unique virtual visit to the sold out exhibition celebrating the painter Munch currently on at the Munch museum in Oslo;
- the award winning Stratford Festival production of "The tempest" starring Christopher Plummer;
- "We steal secrets- The Wikileaks story", an all access behind the scenes look within the Wikileaks operation, showcasing their goals, their ethics and methods. Followed by an on stage debate with writers, politicians and journalists.
- "Bruce Springsteen & I", a new documentary film about The Boss, his music, his live performances and his fans produced by Oscar nominated Riddley Scott (Thelma & Louise, Gladiator). This documentary is screened for one night only on the 22nd of July at about 300 cinemas worldwide and in Greece exclusively at the Benaki Summer Festival.
Each Saturday the Benaki atrium is turned into an all standing concert venue with live performances by Greek bands like Mariza Rizou (and a 9 piece band), The Burger Project and Kostis Maravejas (Maraveyas Illegal), specially and exclusively devised for the Benaki Summer Festival.
Festival audiences, who all receive a free welcome drink, will be able to enjoy the screenings in comfort at table seating while sipping a cocktail or enjoying fresh food, snacks and desserts supplied by quality (Greek) brands like kayak.
The Benaki Summer Festival also offers a select number of exclusive VIP Love Couches for two.